You need to work twice as hard as others only to have half the result.
— Tamako Nobi to her son Nobita Nobi.
Tamako Nobi (
Her real name is Tamako Kataoka, but it was changed to Tamako Nobi when she married Nobisuke Nobi (her brother-in-law's older brother). She usually tells Nobita to study and not to play, but during winter, she urges Nobita to go out and play but Nobita refuses and tells her it is better to warm up in the blanket. She is always worried about her weight and tries different diets to reduce it. She is always jealous of Mrs. Honekawa, though she doesn't show it.
In all of her appearances, Tamako is depicted as a slim woman who wears rounded glasses just like Nobita, her appearance also varies from adaptation. In the manga, Tamako had black hair and wore different shirts or blouses with a skirt and in some ocassions, an apron.
She occasionally takes off her round glasses to reveal her big eyes. Nobita and Doraemon think she looks more beautiful without those glasses.
In the 1973 anime, Tamako's appearance was slightly different, as she had dark brown hair, a yellow polo shirt and a dark green skirt.
In the 1979 anime, as she had again black hair and normally wore a pink shirt with white collars, magenta skirt and an apron.
In the 2005 anime, she normally wears a yellow blouse with an orange skirt, but there may be some variations of the colors. Usually, she dresses in the same way in nearly every episode and manga. Every now and then, while facing in a left or right angle, the shape of her lips change to either looking like Nobita's or Shizuka's.
The CGI Version of Tamako Nobi has similarity with 2005 Anime
|“||Have you completed your homework, Nobita?||”|
— Tamako scolding Nobita.
Tamako is very serious about Nobita's exams, and often punishes him for hiding the results, but deeply loves Nobita and cares for him. Her personality doesn't change very much, being a bit hot-headed at times, but usually quite calm but is very serious most of the time when dealing with Nobita, and sometimes punishes Nobita due to his very lazy and air-headed nature. Nobita sometimes thinks she is a rather blunt, condescending, heartless, tyrannical, sadistic, dismissive she-demon without a sense of humor and gets mad over the smallest thing. He also believes that she treats him like an errand boy by making him do some shopping for her. Tamako is the one who cooks and cleans the house (like a typical Japanese housewife), sometimes with the help of Doraemon. She is mainly serious in the matter of the money, such as when Nobita asks his mother to buy a computer, only to scold him as she thinks it is a waste of money. She also always bans Nobita from raising pets.
While she is considered the most volcanic-tempered woman with the tendency to scold at Nobita and anyone who pushes her buttons greatly, her fear of cockroaches is enough to spark her ire. When she becomes very terrified, she starts shrieking in terror and begs someone to get rid of the cockroaches.
- Nobita Nobi (son)
- Nobisuke Nobi (husband)
- Mrs. Kataoka (mother)
- Mr. Kataoka (father)
- Tamao Kataoka (younger brother)
- Nobiru Nobi (father-in-law, deceased)
- Nobita's paternal grandmother (mother-in-law, deceased)
- Nobirou Nobi (brother-in-law)
- "Nobita! Go and study!"
- "You two are making enough noise to wake the dead!" (Scolding Nobita and Doraemon, English dub)
- 'No No No No... NOOOBIIITAAAA!"
- Dialogue when Nobita and Doraemon explain how they scrambled the house in The Nobi House Turns Into a Giant Maze!?:
- Doraemon: (explaining first) "And that's how it happened..."
- Tamako: "Interesting..." (blows her top) "DON'T EVER THINK OF DOING SOMETHING THAT STUPID AGAIIIIINNNNNN!!
- Doraemon & Nobita: "We won't! I swear!"
- Tamako's name(玉子), literally means "the child of beauty/the child of gem".
- However, her kanji name also means eggs ("Tamago").
- In the 1973 anime, Tamako was shown with brown hair, however, it was changed to black in the 1979 and 2005 anime to match with Nobi Family.
- She is the one who handles the household's finance.
- Tamako's younger brother's name is Tamao Kataoka.
- In the American English dub of the 2005 anime, Tamako's name is changed to Tammy.
- So far, she is the only main female character to have flashy, glowing white eyes when she is angry. This is frequently shown in the 2005 anime.
- She shares her fear of cockroaches with Dorami, and mice with Doraemon.
- She was born in the year Japan attacked Pearl Harbor.
Names in other Languages
- Español: Tamako Kaotaka Nobi, La Madre Nobites (Translates to "Tamako Nobi, Nobita's mother" in Spanish. (Nobita keeps his Japanese name in Spanish as a first declension noun (Genitive Nobites).))
- Genitive: Tamakús Kaotakes Nóbius, Les Madrus Nobites
- Dative: Tamákui Kaotake Nóbei, Le Madri Nobite
- Ablative: Tamákud Kaotákad Nóbid, Lad Madre Nobítad
- Portugués: Tamako Kaotaka Nobi, A Mãe Nobites (Translates to "Tamako Nobi, Nobita's mother" in Portuguese. Nobita keeps his Japanese name in Portuguese as a first declension noun (Genitive Nobites).)
- Genitive: Tamakús Katoakes Nóbios, Les Madros Nobites
- Dative: Tamákui Kaotake Nóbei, Lai Madri Nobites
- Accusative: Tamakum Kaotakam Nobim, Lão Mãem Nobites
- Ablative: Tamakud Kaotakad Nobid, Lade Madre Nobites
- Italiano: Tamako Kaotaka Nobi, La Madre Nobites (Translates to "Tamako Nobi, Nobita's mother" in Italian. Nobita keeps his Japanese name in the Italian tongue as a first declension noun (Genitive Nobites).)
- Genitive: Tamakuus/Tamakús Kaokates Nóbius, Les Madrus Nobites
- Dative: Tamákui Kaotákai Nóbei, Lai Madri Nobites
- Accusative: Tamakum Kaotakam Nobim, Lam Madrem Nobites
- Ablative: Tamákud Kaotákad Nóbid, Lade Mádred Nobites
- Asturianu: Tamako Kaotaka Nobi, La Madre Nobitais (Nobita keeps his Japanese name in the Asturian language as a first declension noun (Genitive Nobitais).)
- Genitive: Tamakús Kaotakais Nobius, Lais Madrus Nobitais
- Dative/Accusative/Ablative: Tamaku Kaotaka Nobi, La Madre Nobitais